"Intention Analysis"

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Mar 2 07:52:34 CET 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, am.lists wrote:

> On 3/1/07, Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org> wrote:
>>  I am a restricted in my statements in this matter as I have actuall access
>>  to them for support activities. So I will not go in details here!
>
> Usually, having access to support <> being under an NDA. If you're not
> under NDA, then by all means, please share. If you are under NDA,
> please share off-list. :-) Just kidding, of course.

Most of it is under NDA. But at times there seems to be conflict between
NDA and GPL in my view.

>> Having said that I do not have a Barracuda at home but I do run
>> MailScanner. With MailWatch added I have the main functionality for the
>> rest of the family added.
>
> Are you saying that minus the Barracuda, but with MS/MW, your opinion
> is that you have equivalent (or near-equivalent) functionality?

The Barracuda solution is fine for those networks whose admins find
clicking on the right spots in exchange is a challenge. It has a decent
set of tools and it is actively maintained so at present I find it is the
best boxed solution you can find with a reasonably good track record.

If you really know what you are doing and have the time to babysit your
own solution then building your own solution with proper defense in depth
is likely to do at least slightly better. Mainly becuase you are investing
significant time to optimize for your own network and users.

If you happen to have the right people on an IT staff the homebrew
solution is the best in all likelyhood. Given the fact that the average
company does not have the required skill levels they need to fall back to
a vendor to do the job for them.

Hugo.

--
 	hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org	http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/