Exchange Conversion

Alex Neuman alex at nkpanama.com
Mon Jun 11 14:41:49 IST 2007

Mike Wilson wrote:
> HEY, finally something I can contribute on :-)
This is one way of doing it. You should, however, make sure you don't
accept mail to nonexistent users. Look into using LDAP if your user base
is big and/or dynamic, or create entries like

To:alice at mydomain.com OK
To:bob at mydomain.com OK
mydomain.com 571 User unknown

in your /etc/mail/access file. Oh, and try to get your outgoing server
to authenticate if possible instead of adding a blanket "RELAY" -
otherwise if your M-Sexchange computer becomes a spambot it'll bog down
your MailScanner box.

You can also just send all your mail to the exchange server instead of
waiting for people to get it. Tell  your machine that it isn't your
company's mailserver anymore by taking away the "mydomain.com" that's in
your /etc/mail/local-host-names and then go to /var/spool/mail and do
the following (after creating *all* the users on the exchange box):

for a in *; do formail -s sendmail $a at mydomain.com < $a; done

If you want to do it manually, what you basically need to do is run
"formail -s sendmail alice at mydomain.com" with the contents of
/var/spool/mail/alice so that formail turns it into something the
sendmail executable can then feed to your exchange box. It's the same as:

cat /var/spool/mail/alice | formail -s sendmail alice at mydomain.com

I'm sure everyone else can chip in with their own condolences and/or tips...