Exchange Conversion

Jason Ede j.ede at birchenallhowden.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 14:43:22 IST 2007

________________________________
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info [mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Mike Wilson [mwilson at cobasys.com]
Sent: 11 June 2007 14:23
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: RE: Exchange Conversion

HEY, finally something I can contribute on :-)
Question 1 How to set up Mailscanner for pre-process inbound mail to Exchange.

I am currently using MailScanner as a MailScanner-Relay for MS-Exchange.
Basically I have MailScanner setup on a box that has 2 ethernet ports, 1 inside & 1 outside
for this example, my Exchange server is 10.1.1.15, MailScanner-Relay Inside address is 10.1.1.14, outside address is "1.1.1.2" the term "mydomain.com" is of course your email domain name

Setup Default Route on your MailScanner-Relay server to use the "Outside" Ethernet Card
"Inside" address is connected to local LAN with Exchange Server on it
During base setup, besure to give a FQDN to your server eg: relay.mydomain.com
Be ready to create or have created the proper DNS records, Host, PTR, MX, etc have them set & pointed to the Outside IP Address

Setup MailScanner as basic as possible with no postfix or other mail options, then set the following entries...

 *
In the /etc/mail/mailertable I have the following 2 entries:
    *
mydomain.com    smtp:[10.1.1.15]
    *
.mydomain.com    smtp:[10.1.1.15]
 *
In the /etc/mail/access I have the following 2 entries:
    *
10.1.1.15        RELAY
    *
To:mydomain.com        RELAY

[Snip]

Although if you want to cut down on your work on the MailScanner box its best to have postfix or sendmail or whatever running with some decent reject rules and maybe use spamhaus and/or spamcop lists... The spamhaus list alone reduces the workload on our servers by 75%

The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential. It is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, or person responsible for delivering this information to the intended recipient, please notify the sender or email postmaster at birchenallhowden.co.uk and delete it from your computer systems. Unless you are the intended recipient or his/her representative you are not authorised to, and must not, read, copy, distribute, use or retain this message or any part of it. All messages are scanned by Mailscanner and are believed to be clean. Recipients are advised to apply their own virus checks to any message on delivery. No liability is accepted by BirchenallHowden Ltd for any losses caused by viruses contracted during transit over the internet or present in any receiving system. BirchenallHowden Ltd, 233 Edmund Road, Sheffield, S2 4EL