Exchange Conversion

Mike Wilson mwilson at cobasys.com
Mon Jun 11 14:23:19 IST 2007

HEY, finally something I can contribute on :-)
Question 1 How to set up Mailscanner for pre-process inbound mail to
Exchange.

I am currently using MailScanner as a MailScanner-Relay for MS-Exchange.
Basically I have MailScanner setup on a box that has 2 ethernet ports, 1
inside & 1 outside
for this example, my Exchange server is 10.1.1.15, MailScanner-Relay
Inside address is 10.1.1.14, outside address is "1.1.1.2" the term
"mydomain.com" is of course your email domain name

Setup Default Route on your MailScanner-Relay server to use the
"Outside" Ethernet Card
"Inside" address is connected to local LAN with Exchange Server on it
During base setup, besure to give a FQDN to your server eg:
relay.mydomain.com
Be ready to create or have created the proper DNS records, Host, PTR,
MX, etc have them set & pointed to the Outside IP Address

Setup MailScanner as basic as possible with no postfix or other mail
options, then set the following entries...

*
	In the /etc/mail/mailertable I have the following 2 entries:

	*
		mydomain.com    smtp:[10.1.1.15]

	*
		.mydomain.com    smtp:[10.1.1.15]

*
	In the /etc/mail/access I have the following 2 entries:

	*
		10.1.1.15        RELAY
	*
		To:mydomain.com        RELAY

In the Exchange system, I have pointed all outbound email to the
"Inside" address of the MailScanner, this must be done in 2 areas
 Both in the Exchange Systems Manager (setting based on Exchange 2003,
2007 may have different locations to find the settings, but setting
should be the same

*
	  First under Administrative
Settings\Servers\UOURSERVERNAME\Protocols\SMTP\Default SMTP Virtual
Server

	*
		  Go To Properties, then to the Delivery Tab, Select the
Advanced Button on the Lower right

		*
			  Enter the Masquerade Domain as "mydomain.com"
		*
			  Enter the Fully-Qualifies Domain as
"exch.mydomain.com"
		*
			  Enter the Smart-Host as "[10.1.1.14]" (be sure
to use the [  ] around the IP address)

*
	  Second under Administrative Settings\Routing
Groups\Connectios\"Your Default Connector Name"

	*
		  Go to the Default Connectors' Properties, on the
General tab Select

		*
			  Foward All Mail through This Connector to the
Following Smart Hosts
		*
			  "[10.1.1.14]"  (be sure to use the [  ] around
the IP address)

Question 2 Best way to convert Sendmail/Pop to exchange.  All at once or
little at a time?
        All at once in a way, cut over your MX records, then after each
person empties the last of the email from the old server, put in thier
new exchange server settings (your using MS Outlook as a Client I
assume)

Question 3 Any add on tools for exchange to make it run better like,
reporting tools, database repair tools.
        See the MS Exchange 2003 Resource Kit, its has everything I
found Useful.
        Also DoubleTake Replication Software (if your setting up a
Standby Exchange System)

Question 4 Anything on how to set up a exchange server "Best Practices"
        Several Books are your there, I havent found 1 that was more
useful than this one
            Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Administrator's Companion by
Walter J Glenn/Microsoft Press  ISBN# 0-7356-1979-4 (I believe)

This should get you up & going for your exchange system
Feel free to contact me with any other specific questions
Mike Wilson