query if mailscanner using clamscan

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Sun Jul 29 01:30:52 IST 2007

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, René Berber wrote:
>
>> Hugo van der Kooij wrote: [snip]
>>>>

>>> Isn't using all of them as much second guessing? How does one call it if
>>> you do it thrice? tripple guessing?
>>
>> There was no guessing on the first place, the user specified that he wanted
>> to use all 3, nothing to guess.
>
> My interpretation of that original bit of config is that it was using auto
> mode:

No it wasn't, in fact its the second time Julian has told the OP to not use
multiple clamav scans.

> "and in MailScanner.conf it says Virus Scanners = auto"

Where did you get that? From this message
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.virus.mailscanner/55372, which is the one
Julian was responding to, the OP says:

"in MailScanner.conf

Virus Scanners = clamav clamd clamavmodule
"

> Is there another interpretation of that section possible?
>
> So for those cases MS is selecting all of the availables ones. On my scanner
> test machine it is set to auto as it only handles a handfull of messages per
> day but the number of scanners used is increasing.
>
> At present it reports: I have found bitdefender f-prot avastd drweb
> clamavmodule clamd avast mcafee norman antivir scanners installed, and will
> use them all by default.
>
> Preferably MS would avoid using duplicate scanners. And perhaps also detect
> broken scanners.
>
> In this case Norman dies a horrible death on anything but Centos 4. On my
> Centos 5 and FC 4 machines it will not run but crash with some unexplicable
> crash which Norman is yet to fix after it was reported nearly 2 years ago.

I understand the confusion, the report or the interpretation is probably wrong,
I think MS defaults to using clamavmodule when more than one clam option is
available.
--
René Berber