query if mailscanner using clamscan

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Jul 29 00:46:29 IST 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, René Berber wrote:

> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I don't want to second-guess what clamav scanner you might want to use.
>>
>> Isn't using all of them as much second guessing? How does one call it if
>> you do it thrice? tripple guessing?
>
> There was no guessing on the first place, the user specified that he wanted to
> use all 3, nothing to guess.

My interpretation of that original bit of config is that it was using auto
mode:

"and in MailScanner.conf it says
Virus Scanners = auto"

Is there another interpretation of that section possible?

So for those cases MS is selecting all of the availables ones. On my
scanner test machine it is set to auto as it only handles a handfull of
messages per day but the number of scanners used is increasing.

At present it reports:
I have found bitdefender f-prot avastd drweb clamavmodule clamd avast mcafee norman antivir scanners installed, and will use them all by default.

Preferably MS would avoid using duplicate scanners. And perhaps also
detect broken scanners.

In this case Norman dies a horrible death on anything but Centos 4. On my
Centos 5 and FC 4 machines it will not run but crash with some
unexplicable crash which Norman is yet to fix after it was reported nearly
2 years ago.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)