query if mailscanner using clamscan

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jul 29 12:01:23 IST 2007

Hugo,

You have your wish. 4.62.7-2 will detect multiple clam scanners
installed and will use the most sensible one, when you specify "Virus
Scanners = auto". The scanners actually used will be in the maillog.

Please download it and give it a try.

I can't see a way to easily test to see if a scanner is broken, sorry.

Jules.

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, René Berber wrote:
>
>> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Isn't using all of them as much second guessing? How does one call
>>> it if
>>> you do it thrice? tripple guessing?
>>
>> There was no guessing on the first place, the user specified that he
>> wanted to
>> use all 3, nothing to guess.
>
> My interpretation of that original bit of config is that it was using
> auto mode:
>
> "and in MailScanner.conf it says
> Virus Scanners = auto"
>
> Is there another interpretation of that section possible?
>
> So for those cases MS is selecting all of the availables ones. On my
> scanner test machine it is set to auto as it only handles a handfull
> of messages per day but the number of scanners used is increasing.
>
> At present it reports:
> I have found bitdefender f-prot avastd drweb clamavmodule clamd avast
> mcafee norman antivir scanners installed, and will use them all by
> default.
>
> Preferably MS would avoid using duplicate scanners. And perhaps also
> detect broken scanners.
>
> In this case Norman dies a horrible death on anything but Centos 4. On
> my Centos 5 and FC 4 machines it will not run but crash with some
> unexplicable crash which Norman is yet to fix after it was reported
> nearly 2 years ago.
>
> Hugo.

Jules

- --