switching clamavmodule -> clamd

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 21:59:34 IST 2007

Bryan Guest wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am looking for a performance gain by switching from clamavmodule to
> clamd. I have been following the guide in the wiki (
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_virus:clamav:switch_to_rpm_clamd)
> and I would like to ask a couple of questions.
>
> 1) RPM's from Dag Wieers
>
> It seems that the easy install package (IE:
> install-Clam-0.91.1-SA-3.2.2.tar.gz) may install clamd. If this is the
> case, why is it recommended to use the rpm's from Dag Wieers?
It gets you the init.d script to run clamd.

> 2) Is clamd install from bundle possible?
>
> Is it forseeable that MailScanner may just be able to use the clamd
> compiled and installed with install-Clam-XXX-SA-XXX.tar.gz in the future?
It can now. Using the RPMs from Dag saves you writing your own init.d
script to start and stop clamd.

> 3) Uninstall of source installation necessary?
>
> A note in step 4 of the wiki documentation suggests it is necessary to
> uninstall the source install using "make uninstall". This makes sense
> of course, prior to an RPM install.  I just wanted to inquire if this
> is a critical step?
Not critical, no. But do make sure your
/etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf points to the right installation,
as only that one will be kept up to date automatically by MailScanner.

> The install-Clam package seems to clean up after itself.  So unless I
> am mistaken, to clean up after this install package, it is necessary
> to unpack it again, then unpack the ClamAV tarball, run the configure
> script with  --disable-zlib-vcheck) and then do "make uninstall" with
> the newly created makefile?
Correct.

> 4) What if clamd dies?
>
> If clamd should fail, will Mailscanner continue to process mail?
> Should some monitor program such as supervise be put into place to
> automagically restart clamd?
I would use a clamd monitor script to keep an eye on it, such as
"clamdwatch" (Google for it).

> 5) Will switching to clamd help with botched clamav database updates?
>
> We have been trying to run the 0.9x versions of ClamAV and have been
> bitten twice by damaged or failed database updates when a major
> release occurs. Does switching to clamd have any affect on this
> situation?
No.

> Many thanks to Julian Field and everyone on this list for MailScanner
> and the support it receives.  I sincerely appreciate any feedback
> provided.
Thanks!

Jules

- --