switching clamavmodule -> clamd

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jul 25 22:32:48 IST 2007

Julian Field spake the following on 7/25/2007 1:59 PM:

> Bryan Guest wrote:
>> Hello:
>
>> I am looking for a performance gain by switching from clamavmodule to
>> clamd. I have been following the guide in the wiki (
>> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_virus:clamav:switch_to_rpm_clamd)
>> and I would like to ask a couple of questions.
>
>> 1) RPM's from Dag Wieers
>
>> It seems that the easy install package (IE:
>> install-Clam-0.91.1-SA-3.2.2.tar.gz) may install clamd. If this is the
>> case, why is it recommended to use the rpm's from Dag Wieers?
> It gets you the init.d script to run clamd.
>> 2) Is clamd install from bundle possible?
>
>> Is it forseeable that MailScanner may just be able to use the clamd
>> compiled and installed with install-Clam-XXX-SA-XXX.tar.gz in the future?
> It can now. Using the RPMs from Dag saves you writing your own init.d
> script to start and stop clamd.
The clamav tarball has init-scrips for several variations of OS's. Just unpack
it somewhere and look at them. The tarball install seems to have a clamd.conf
file also, but it is in /usr/local/etc. I haven't tried to run it yet as I
don't have enough volume to make much of a difference, although I got the
clamd daemon to run and I could scan stuff with it.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and