switching clamavmodule -> clamd

Bryan Guest bryan.guest at bmts.com
Wed Jul 25 21:47:24 IST 2007

Hello:

I am looking for a performance gain by switching from clamavmodule to clamd.
I have been following the guide in the wiki (
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_virus:clamav:switch_to_rpm_clamd)
and I would like to ask a couple of questions.

1) RPM's from Dag Wieers

It seems that the easy install package (IE:
install-Clam-0.91.1-SA-3.2.2.tar.gz) may install clamd. If this is the case,
why is it recommended to use the rpm's from Dag Wieers?

2) Is clamd install from bundle possible?

Is it forseeable that MailScanner may just be able to use the clamd compiled
and installed with install-Clam-XXX-SA-XXX.tar.gz in the future?

3) Uninstall of source installation necessary?

A note in step 4 of the wiki documentation suggests it is necessary to
uninstall the source install using "make uninstall". This makes sense of
course, prior to an RPM install.  I just wanted to inquire if this is a
critical step?

The install-Clam package seems to clean up after itself.  So unless I am
mistaken, to clean up after this install package, it is necessary to unpack
it again, then unpack the ClamAV tarball, run the configure script
with  --disable-zlib-vcheck) and then do "make uninstall" with the newly
created makefile?

4) What if clamd dies?

If clamd should fail, will Mailscanner continue to process mail? Should some
monitor program such as supervise be put into place to automagically restart
clamd?

5) Will switching to clamd help with botched clamav database updates?

We have been trying to run the 0.9x versions of ClamAV and have been bitten
twice by damaged or failed database updates when a major release occurs.
Does switching to clamd have any affect on this situation?

Many thanks to Julian Field and everyone on this list for MailScanner and
the support it receives.  I sincerely appreciate any feedback provided.

Bryan Guest
Bruce Telecom