Request for comments

Steven Andrews sandrews at andrewscompanies.com
Fri Jul 20 19:08:53 IST 2007

Ok, you got me there.  You win.

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Matt
Kettler
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 1:19 PM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: Re: Request for comments

Steven Andrews wrote:
> Why not?  I know specious argument, but this would work well so you
> could apply a penalty or a credit to a certain domain.
>
> Blackberry devices are just an example, they always trigger certain
> rules that push their scores up.  Are they going to change that fact?
> Nope.  Do I want to lower the value of those rules?  Nope.  They catch

> other traffic.  Do I want to whitelist blackberries entirely...no way.
> If I had a mechanism to punish or credit a certain domain, that would
> allow such a situation where I can keep rules intact but adjust the
> spamminess of a domain.

My question is why not do this in SpamAssassin directly. ie: what value
is there in adding this feature to MailScanner.

If you're just doing score adjustments, a simple SpamAssassin rule has
by FAR more power and flexibility, and isn't difficult.

Some trivial examples:

header FROM_BB	From =~ /\@blackberry\.net/
describe FROM_BB  addressed from blackberry.net
score FROM_BB	-2.0

header SUBJ_SOMETHING Subject =~ /some trigger text/i describe
SUBJ_SOMETHING has some trigger text in the subject score SUBJ_SOMETHING
-1.0