Request for comments

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Fri Jul 20 18:19:20 IST 2007

Steven Andrews wrote:
> Why not?  I know specious argument, but this would work well so you
> could apply a penalty or a credit to a certain domain.
>
> Blackberry devices are just an example, they always trigger certain
> rules that push their scores up.  Are they going to change that fact?
> Nope.  Do I want to lower the value of those rules?  Nope.  They catch
> other traffic.  Do I want to whitelist blackberries entirely...no way.
> If I had a mechanism to punish or credit a certain domain, that would
> allow such a situation where I can keep rules intact but adjust the
> spamminess of a domain.

My question is why not do this in SpamAssassin directly. ie: what value is there
in adding this feature to MailScanner.

If you're just doing score adjustments, a simple SpamAssassin rule has by FAR
more power and flexibility, and isn't difficult.

Some trivial examples:

header FROM_BB	From =~ /\@blackberry\.net/
describe FROM_BB  addressed from blackberry.net
score FROM_BB	-2.0

header SUBJ_SOMETHING Subject =~ /some trigger text/i
describe SUBJ_SOMETHING has some trigger text in the subject
score SUBJ_SOMETHING -1.0