Request for comments

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Jul 22 09:28:51 IST 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Matt Kettler wrote:

> Steven Andrews wrote:
>> Why not?  I know specious argument, but this would work well so you
>> could apply a penalty or a credit to a certain domain.
>>
>> Blackberry devices are just an example, they always trigger certain
>> rules that push their scores up.  Are they going to change that fact?
>> Nope.  Do I want to lower the value of those rules?  Nope.  They catch
>> other traffic.  Do I want to whitelist blackberries entirely...no way.
>> If I had a mechanism to punish or credit a certain domain, that would
>> allow such a situation where I can keep rules intact but adjust the
>> spamminess of a domain.
>
> My question is why not do this in SpamAssassin directly. ie: what value is there
> in adding this feature to MailScanner.
>
> If you're just doing score adjustments, a simple SpamAssassin rule has by FAR
> more power and flexibility, and isn't difficult.

But SA rules are inerintly more complex.

To be honest. Unless I really, realy, realy need them. I leave the SA
rules alone. So having the option to do this in MailScanners makes for a
much simpler configuration.

It will not prevent you or anyone else from using SA to do the job. But it
will offer a new way to configure things for those that need them.

So I am 230% in favor for adding them if Jules feels like it.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)