MailScanner not delivering mail anymore

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 3 20:48:08 IST 2007

Dave Boltz wrote:

>  I've been going through stuff all day and I'm really stuck here.  I
> hope someone can help me.  I use MailScanner with sendmail.  This
> setup has been in place for years and worked without problems.  All of
> a sudden this weekend it stopped delivering its mail from the incoming
> queue but instead just piles up there.  If I modify my
> MailScanner.conf file to run in debug mode it will process a bunch of
> email and send it of but it's always finishing with the messages
> below. I notice from MailWatch that if I run this without debug mode
> it will start marking all email as a virus after some time.   The
> number of EOCD messages seems to very with the number of email
> processed in that run.

And it specifically told you in the output to ignore EOCD errors. So
please ignore them :-)

> Does anyone have any clues as to how I can solve this issue?
>
>  <snip>
> Starting MailScanner daemons:
>
>          incoming sendmail: SPF milter already running
>
>                                                            [  OK  ]
>
>          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>
>          MailScanner:       In Debugging mode, not forking...
>
> Ignore errors about failing to find EOCD signature
>
> format error: can't find EOCD signature
>
>  at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 820
>
> format error: can't find EOCD signature
>
>  at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 820
>
> commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,
> <CLIENT> line 707.
>
> Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm line 93,
> <CLIENT> line 707.
>
> Stopping now as you are debugging me.

All of those are totally harmless.

What virus scanners are you using? What does MailScanner --lint say?
When it starts marking them as viruses, what is it logging? You haven't
given us any useful info to go on :-(

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP