OT: building new server, need MTA advice

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Tue Jan 30 01:20:39 CET 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> I wouldn't say changing it to break Mailscanner. More like changing it to
> exercise creative control over his work. He wants things done a certain way,
> and that leaves him room to change the internals of his program without
> worrying if it breaks something outside his control, or breaks how his
> software used to work. Not worrying about backward compatibility frees him to
> be creative to the ends he wants.
> If it breaks the code of those that think outside "his" box, then that is of
> no consequence to him. He "warned" everyone.
> He does have the right to change his code. But that probably keeps more people
> away from postfix.
> Julian will make mailscanner work with postfix. He always has. Or he will get
> to a point where he doesn't want to mess with it anymore.
Hmmm. Interesting. So then Postfix is sort of a "dictatorship opensource
project"? I would have thought that people would want their software to
NOT break people's production servers.

Typically, how long has the lag been from a new version of Postfix that
breaks things until a new version of MailScanner comes out that makes
them work again?

Chris