OT: building new server, need MTA advice

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 01:36:03 CET 2007

On 30/01/07, Chris Yuzik <itdept at fractalweb.com> wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
> > I wouldn't say changing it to break Mailscanner. More like changing it to
> > exercise creative control over his work. He wants things done a certain way,
> > and that leaves him room to change the internals of his program without
> > worrying if it breaks something outside his control, or breaks how his
> > software used to work. Not worrying about backward compatibility frees him to
> > be creative to the ends he wants.
> > If it breaks the code of those that think outside "his" box, then that is of
> > no consequence to him. He "warned" everyone.
> > He does have the right to change his code. But that probably keeps more people
> > away from postfix.
> > Julian will make mailscanner work with postfix. He always has. Or he will get
> > to a point where he doesn't want to mess with it anymore.
> Hmmm. Interesting. So then Postfix is sort of a "dictatorship opensource
> project"? I would have thought that people would want their software to
> NOT break people's production servers.
>
> Typically, how long has the lag been from a new version of Postfix that
> breaks things until a new version of MailScanner comes out that makes
> them work again?
>
> Chris
Actually hard to say... Not that long. By the time "mainline" distros
have picked up that particular new version, MailScanner has been up to
speed, so far... Often, the lag has been less than a few days.
It's not like one _has_ to be first with every update to PF:-).
It's not often subject to vulnerabilities, and those usually don't
have very far-reaching consequenses (due to design... This is where
the behemoths (sendmail and Exim) can fall short:).

I imagine it isn't a problem for most people. Certainly not for me;).
--
-- Glenn