OT: building new server, need MTA advice

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jan 30 00:53:14 CET 2007

Chris Yuzik spake the following on 1/29/2007 3:15 PM:
> Drew Marshall wrote:
>> I tend to go with Martin on this but I moved (A number of years ago) from
>> Sendmail as I personally found it's config to be something of a mystery
>> and it's then almost constant patching a real nightmare (I did say it was
>> a few years ago. This has been dramatically reduced in the 8.13.x
>> series).
>> I moved to Postfix and have found it's config to be clear, simple and
>> powerful. Currently it plays fine with MailScanner and it will do so into
>> the future (Postfix's author will claim otherwise and will keep changing
>> the queue structure to keep Jules and Glenn on their toes). So my vote is
>> Postfix but usual caveats apply :-)
>>
> Drew,
>
> Are you saying that the Postfix authors are purposefully changing the
> queue structure to intentionally break MailScanner (and similar)?
> Obviously, we can't have a must-have upgrade to either MailScanner or
> Postfix, then find that mail is stuck until a patch comes in from the
> other guys. Has this been much of an issue?
>
> After reading some of the other messages, I was leaning towards Postfix
> but this could be cause for concern.
>
> Chris
I wouldn't say changing it to break Mailscanner. More like changing it to
exercise creative control over his work. He wants things done a certain way,
and that leaves him room to change the internals of his program without
worrying if it breaks something outside his control, or breaks how his
software used to work. Not worrying about backward compatibility frees him to
be creative to the ends he wants.
If it breaks the code of those that think outside "his" box, then that is of
no consequence to him. He "warned" everyone.
He does have the right to change his code. But that probably keeps more people
away from postfix.
Julian will make mailscanner work with postfix. He always has. Or he will get
to a point where he doesn't want to mess with it anymore.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and