sa-update, the untold story...

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Jan 26 17:30:33 CET 2007

Lars Kristiansen wrote:
> Kevin Miller skrev:
>>
>> 2:  I *think* the proper setting in MailScanner.conf is:
>>       SpamAssassin Local State Dir = /var/lib/spamassassin
>>     Earlier versions of MailScanner just had /var/lib.  This should
>>     be uncommented after a successful sa-update run.
>
> I don't think you need this setting any more with recent spamassassin.

I don't know - I sorta got that impression in all my reading but on the
other hand I don't see any harm in leaving it so that's probably the
safest bet.

>> 3:  sa-update should be run after a spamassassin update to be sure
>>     the proper rules being looked at.
>
> Thanks, appreciated.
>
> Suggestion:
> If running from crontab, a random time could be nice.

Julian's sa-update script in cron.daily has a randomizer built in
already...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500