Greetpause seems very ineffective (Was: RE: Increased Volumes Of Spam)

Res res at ausics.net
Sun Jan 21 13:04:34 CET 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Dennis Willson wrote:

> eMail has no guarantee of delivery or especially timing of delivery.
>
> There are many many things that can effect the timing of delivery. If a
> lawyer or other business needs an instant or guaranteed time of delivery they

> certainly shouldn't be using eMail. Most servers retry within a few minutes.

this is not the case in reality, host servers that process real
quantities of mail do not retry within minutes, typicaly its 10/15/30 60
mins depending on how busy the servers are.

> I have my greylisting set to only force a 2 minute delay AND this only occurs

the amount of time anyone sets greylaming to is moot, it comes down to
when the attempting to send server, retries.

if any tech under my control initiates greylisting on any server i will
dismiss them instantly, our customers want their mail asap that means
without delay, and I pride myself in ensuring that happens, it keeps the
paying customers happy, if they happy I'm happy.

but each to our own, clearly you dont give a stuff when your
customers get mail, which is your business entirely, so long as your
cusotmers are prepared to tolerate it, and accept that deliberate delaying
of their inbound mail is not the norm with every service providor and you
advise them of this prior to their application of your serices, you do
warn them you delay their mail dont you?

--
Cheers
Res

"So, you think you can tell Heaven from Hell?" - Roger Waters