Best way to use clamav (MTA or MailScanner)

Res res at ausics.net
Sat Jan 13 07:35:43 CET 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:

> Res wrote:
>> conclusion:
>> If you constantly process 5 concurrent emails, milter would be acceptable,
>> if you have 300+ constant concurrent connections reaching 600 in peak
>> periods, MailScanner is far superior (unless modern day scanning

> ... which is the norm on around 80% of the servers I set up, so I don't think
> much about it. The 11Mb file problem you talk about is also offset by setting

> Users are hit over the head repeatedly with a clue by four (read
> "encouraged") to use other means to send larger files, depending on their
> needs.

It comes down to what your use is, if you are a private company it wouldn't
really matter above 5 if you dont deal in large documents, but, if you
are a service providor, it pays to keep the customers happy and offer 10-20.

I'm no longer involved in an organisation that provides dialup, when I was,
we used 5, then along came this little thing called broadband matched only
by the requests for higher mail limits, with DSL a lawyer can shoot off a
15 MB file and its in the recipients inbox within minutes, not having to
wait nearly 40 minutes to upload it, then the recipient taking 40 minutes
(and cursing you) downloading it.

10 is more the norm in this country now days, some, including us, use 20
as some government clients send large documents, I've spoken to a few
in IRC from the U.S and none of them use under 20.

--
Cheers
Res

"So, you think you can tell Heaven from Hell?" - Roger Waters