Best way to use clamav (MTA or MailScanner)

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 13 19:58:42 CET 2007

Dhawal Doshy wrote:
> den gon wrote:
>> Hi To all,
>>
>> I would like to ask what is the best way to use the clamav. Is it on
>> MTA level using
>> clamav-milter and disabling it to MailScanner as a redundancy or Is
>> it on the MailScanner
>> disabling the clamav-milter on MTA and enabling it on
>> MailScanner.conf  "Virus Scanning =  yes"
>> as "Virus Scanners = clamavmodule"
>
> Ideally:
>
> First create a policy for your organization for a list of extensions
> that you would never accept (and would like to reject). Use your MTA
> to reject them rightaway. Examples .scr, .cpl
>
> Second, if your MTA supports it, reject patterns that are known to
> contain viruses (body_checks OR mime_header_checks in postfix for
> example)
>
> Next, run something like a clamav-milter and reject as many viruses as
> possible without causing false positives and/or delay in incoming
> mail. You wouldn't want the sending MTA to timeout due to
> clamav-milter taking a lot of time.
>
> Finally run clamavmodule OR clamscan at the mailscanner level to get
> rid of any archives that couldn't be unpacked at the clamav-milter
> level (say rar, lha, arj etc..)
>
> - dhawal
One of the advantages of doing this at the MailScanner level is the
control over the message(s) sent out as a result of an infected message
received. You will probably want to just bin all viruses quietly,
whereas if you run it at the MTA level it will probably bounce it back
to the poor innocent soul whose address was faked as the "sender"
address of the message.

Also, you might want to notify the recipient of the message, at which
point instead of receiving an unintelligible sendmail error report, they
get a nice friendly report which you write to explain to them what has
happened.

This applies to most of the things that MailScanner can do which can
also be done at the MTA level, the quality and content of the reporting.
Mere mortals don't understand MTA error messages at all, remember that
your users will call their support staff whenever they get a report they
don't understand. Understandable reports ==> less support calls.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM