What happens when you archive...

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Sat Feb 24 00:58:45 CET 2007

Kevin Miller spake the following on 2/23/2007 3:47 PM:
> Right now I deep six all high scoring spam, quarantine regular spam for
> 30 days and forward ham to our Exchange server.  I got to thinking, it
> would be cheap insurance to archive the ham for a couple weeks, in the
> odd event that the exchange server goes belly up in the middle of the
> night, after the backup has finished.  Some mail would be lost, but if
> it's archived on the MailScanner box it would be safely there for me to
> just resend when the internal mail server is restored.
>
> I only want to archive the ham.  The spam already is by virtue of the
> quarantine, and the high scoring spam is toast regardless.  If I just
> set:
>   Archive Mail = /var/spool/MailScanner/archive
> will that do it, or will I need to create a ruleset to only save the
> ham?
>
> Have a great weekend...
>
> ...Kevin
I think that will archive "everything", ham, spam, and high scoring.
You could have a forward rule in non-spam actions to a local mail account on
the mailscanner machine. It would be up to you to parse that back out to the
exchange server if needed. Or you could use a store rule on your non-spam
actions, and let the quarantine rules take care of the older stuff.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and