FuzzyOcr

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Fri Feb 16 03:04:17 CET 2007

Glenn Steen wrote:

> A guess, yes. Reasonable... Perhaps:-).
> But I think both you and Scott miss my point (ever so non-obvious, as
> usual:-)... If in doubt (and this was surely not crystal clear from
> the outset) on the details, ask for more information. Can't be a
> shocker.

True.. I myself usually take the approach of starting off with something like:

"You didn't mention what (technology) you use, but based on (something) I'm
guessing you use (product), if that's not the case, let us know what you do use.."

But that said, I nearly always try to make a guess and propose some solution, or
follow on questions, based on it. At least that way if my guess is right,
they're closer to a solution..

> The second thing is: Don't assume people know their systems
> intimately. Most don't. Not even the intelligent and clever ones.

good point.

> As it turned out, Jeremy was clever enough, and knew enough to take
> the advice given, and resolv his problem, so ... (and yes, well, turns
> out that all you nit-picks were right this time:-D)
> That people know what they should is rare (Yeah, I had a shitty first
> day back at work... My thoughts on cow-orkers and people in general is
> pretty low today:/).

Yeah, I feel ya on that one.

But more seriously, you are right that it is best to try to write suggestions to
be simple enough for someone who is over their head to work with.