FuzzyOcr

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 02:31:37 CET 2007

On 16/02/07, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:

> >>         by mailscanner.grant.k12.ca.us (Postfix) with ESMTP id
> >> 91E56403BBF
> >>         for <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>;
> >>
> >> I'd consider that pretty good evidence that he's using postfix.
> > Why should I assume he's mailing the list from the system he has
> > problems with?
>

> I'll grant you it's a guess, but it's a guess with good evidence backing it up.
>
> And of course, if that guess is wrong, Jeremy can always point out that he's got
> a qmail box elsewhere in his network that also runs MailScanner.
>
> But based on that Received: line, it's at least a reasonable first guess that
> grant.k12.ca.us runs at least one postfix MTA with MailScanner on it.
A guess, yes. Reasonable... Perhaps:-).
But I think both you and Scott miss my point (ever so non-obvious, as
usual:-)... If in doubt (and this was surely not crystal clear from
the outset) on the details, ask for more information. Can't be a
shocker.
The second thing is: Don't assume people know their systems
intimately. Most don't. Not even the intelligent and clever ones.
As it turned out, Jeremy was clever enough, and knew enough to take
the advice given, and resolv his problem, so ... (and yes, well, turns
out that all you nit-picks were right this time:-D)
That people know what they should is rare (Yeah, I had a shitty first
day back at work... My thoughts on cow-orkers and people in general is
pretty low today:/).

--
-- Glenn