Diskspace on redhat ent 3

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 00:39:57 CET 2007

On 13/02/07, Peter Nitschke <email at ace.net.au> wrote:
> Is it still valid to even have a lot of seperate partitions these days?

Yes and no. Modern OS/filesystems make the choices available to you
much more flexible...

> If the hard drive dies you are usually pretty well stuffed no matter how
> many partitions you have.

It is those times when the complete filesystem goes bonkers on you (be
that from HW problems like head crashes or whatever) that you start
regretting the one-for-all strategy. Or if you have a somewhat modern
backup system that relies on multiplexing for efficiency (smallest
"unit" is usually the filesystem level)... Having one-for-all shoots
your backup performance out the window (not that important if one has
D2D2T-like setup, I know), but actually will help total recovery-time
(for directed recovery, the multpiple filesystem approach might still
be beneficial)...

> Mostly our mail servers are single purpose machines, so I just have a 1Gb
> swap partition and give the rest to /.  No problems with partitions running
> out of space.
If you've considered things like the above, why... Nothing wrong with that, no.
Your box, your choice;).

> Or is this still Unix/Linux heresy?
Not really no. Some Unices still hold fast to a more rigid scheme, but
most can be coaxed in this direction. The way to go is more a function
of what you are doing with the box, number of actual spindles etc etc.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn