"not cached, timed out" in spam that scored 0.

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Feb 12 22:50:39 CET 2007

am.lists spake the following on 2/12/2007 1:31 PM:
> I was browsing my mailwatch "recent 50" messages and spotted a 0.00
> score message that I could tell right away was junk spam.
>
> It was 39k in size and was routed from RR residential, and direct from
> a cable modem.
>
> Obvious botnet picture spam...
>
> But looking at the header, for the spam report, it simply said:
>
> not cached
> timed out
>
> ---
>
> Then I started looking deeper, and for today, I found this:
>
> [root at mailgw log]# grep "timed out" maillog
> Feb 12 13:07:46 mailgw MailScanner[1006]: SpamAssassin timed out and
> was killed, failure 1 of 10
> Feb 12 14:44:04 mailgw MailScanner[15377]: SpamAssassin timed out and
> was killed, failure 1 of 10
> Feb 12 14:47:40 mailgw MailScanner[2613]: SpamAssassin timed out and
> was killed, failure 1 of 10
>

> Only three lines out of 160K lines of maillog for the day so far.
>
> Where would I look for this timeout setting? If I'm only getting stuck
> three times a day on this, I'd like to be a little more forgiving if
> possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Angelo
You can increase the spamassasin timeout in mailscanner.conf, since you aren't
getting hit a lot in a day. More timeouts are usually an indication of
resolver problems or bayes rebuild attempts.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and