Mailscanner generated duplicate message.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 24 16:00:16 GMT 2007

Alex Broens wrote:

> On 12/24/2007 3:23 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Alex Broens wrote:
>>> probably totally irrelevant yet got a hunch...
>>>

>>> what are your settings in MailScanner.conf for
>>>
>>> Queue Scan Interval
>>>
>>> Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan
>>>
>>> Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan
>>

>> Queue Scan Interval = 6
>>
>> Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 30
>>
>> Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 30
>>

>>> Could it be you're seeing a race condition between scanning threads?
>>

>> This is exactly what the problem seems to be, but I don't know what to
>> do to prevent it or what I could have done or omitted to cause it.
>>
>> I suppose I could set
>>
>> Max Children = 1
>>
>> but that seems extreme, and it seems if it were necessary, more than
>> just me would be seeing this problem.
>
> Single CPU:
>
> Max Children = 5

This is what I currently have.

> Dual:
>
> Max Children = 8
>
> (keep the box relaxed till you get the stuff to process)
>
> Pls try:
>
> Queue Scan Interval = 15
>
> Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 5
> Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 5

I will try these. Note that I will be offline for the next week, so I
won't be able to report much until after the new year.

> You may need to tweek "Queue Scan Interval" to your box's perfomance
>
> my rule of thumb:
>
> Queue Scan Interval = thread_count + 3
>
> keep us posted

OK.

Note that logs indicate that this problem has only occurred on mail
which is not actually scanned because of a 'no' in scan.messages.rules.
I don't know why this would matter, but it may be significant.

All but one of the occurrences were on outgoing mail from localhost. The
other one was an incoming message to postmaster. Logs indicate 4 copies
of this one were delivered and I undoubtedly saw all four but just
deleted them thinking they were multiple spams

The nature of the server is that outgoing mail is virtually all Mailman
list posts or forwards of mail, all of which was scanned on the way in.
I would just as soon not have Postfix hold mail from localhost at all,
but I haven't figured out how to do that.

- --