Mailscanner generated duplicate message.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 24 16:38:01 GMT 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> * PGP Signed by an unknown key
>
> Alex Broens wrote:

>>> Queue Scan Interval = 6
>>>
>>> Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 30
>>>
>>> Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 30

>>> This is exactly what the problem seems to be, but I don't know what to
>>> do to prevent it or what I could have done or omitted to cause it.
>>>
>>> I suppose I could set
>>>
>>> Max Children = 1
>>>
>>> but that seems extreme, and it seems if it were necessary, more than
>>> just me would be seeing this problem.
>>>
>> Single CPU:
>>
>> Max Children = 5
>>

> This is what I currently have.
>

>> Dual:
>>
>> Max Children = 8
>>
>> (keep the box relaxed till you get the stuff to process)
>>
>> Pls try:
>>
>> Queue Scan Interval = 15
>>
>> Max Unscanned Messages Per Scan = 5
>> Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 5
>>

> I will try these. Note that I will be offline for the next week, so I
> won't be able to report much until after the new year.
>

>> You may need to tweek "Queue Scan Interval" to your box's perfomance
>>
>> my rule of thumb:
>>
>> Queue Scan Interval = thread_count + 3
>>
>> keep us posted

I'm slightly surprised you need to change Queue Scan Interval much. It
won't have much effect when you have quite a few children running, as
the effective queue scan interval will be that number divided by the
number of children. So your queue will be scanned once every second or
two anyway. Which is more than frequent enough!
> OK.
>
> Note that logs indicate that this problem has only occurred on mail
> which is not actually scanned because of a 'no' in scan.messages.rules.
> I don't know why this would matter, but it may be significant.
>
> All but one of the occurrences were on outgoing mail from localhost. The
> other one was an incoming message to postmaster. Logs indicate 4 copies
> of this one were delivered and I undoubtedly saw all four but just
> deleted them thinking they were multiple spams
>
> The nature of the server is that outgoing mail is virtually all Mailman
> list posts or forwards of mail, all of which was scanned on the way in.
> I would just as soon not have Postfix hold mail from localhost at all,
> but I haven't figured out how to do that.

You could easily stop it scanning outgoing messages from itself if you want.
In MailScaner.conf, set
    Scan Messages = %rules-dir%/not.this.server.rules
and then in /etc/MailScanner/rules/not.this.server.rules put 4 lines
like this
(where the server's own IP address is 10.11.12.13) :

# Say "yes" to everything except messages I created.
From: 127.0.0.1 no
From: 10.11.12.13 no # Worth adding this, just in case
FromOrTo: default yes

Then run
    service MailScanner reload
to make it re-read its configuration. That's a very simple example of
how rulesets work, so now you can start adding rulesets that do lots
more clever things for other configuration settings where you want
different values for different messages: they are documented (well?) in
The Book, the Wiki, the configration files themselves, the
"spam.whitelist.rules" example file and the other files in
/etc/MailScanner/rules.

Now messages originating from the host itself will not be scanned or
processed by MailScanner at all, just moved straight into the outgoing
queue without being looked at. Note that none of the MailScanner headers
will be added either, so the messages will look like they never saw
MailScanner at all.

The last thing you want is to have mailing list exploders sending
multiple copies of messages, that equals an enormous amount of
unnecessary mail!

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng