OT Fedora in production (as nstallation Problem on Fedora Core 8)

Richard Potter rpotter at rpcs.net
Fri Dec 14 03:20:02 GMT 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 04:44:12PM +0000, Greg Matthews wrote:

> Anthony Cartmell wrote:
> >>
> >>Given that Fedora is only supported for 18 months I wonder how that
> >>can be unless you are running an unmaintained OS.
> >
> >Quite simple, I upgrade roughly every 12 to 18 months :)
>
> I rest my case

I agree with Greg.

I'm amazed at the length of this thread :-) I had something to do with
it early on, as I replied at least once.

I think it shows the broad spectrum of contributors here, from Unix
newbies, to old guys like me (I'm 48). I'm obviously from the old school,
but a piece of hardware, install your OS and run until it you get a
new piece of hardware. This was the way it was when I started out with
SCO and AIX, and it's the way it still is.

I've never done a in place linux upgrade, and I never will. Fresh
install or nothing.

I also wait at least 10 days after release to install a MailScanner or
any other major upgrades to my boxes. That's experience.

I am experimenting with dag's repository on my own home server, and I
have been burnt a few times lately. The latest was the MailTools upgrade,
which a quick check of this list showed the answer. That was my fault, as
I approved the yum upgrade. Who would have thought the MailTools upgrade
would have busted MailScanner? My production servers are not using dag's
repository, so life went on.

So... my answer is still the same, Fedora is not meant for a production
enviroment. But, if you have only one server, and you can afford to lose
it when you least expect it, or to upgrade it, go for it!

My servers cannot be taken down to upgrade. I'm not sure how you Fedora users
do it.

Richard