OT Fedora in production (as nstallation Problem on Fedora Core 8)

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Tue Dec 11 15:10:37 GMT 2007

You miss read the grammar in my reply.

We all know that Centos is not  supported by Red Hat, however it is
binary compatible, if you're not sure what binary compatible just go for
google.

Heres an article worth reading that looks at both sides of the argument:

You also might want to read real world comment here:

I think that by insisting its not a testing ground OS you are not in
agreement with everyone I deal with...

Its a testing ground for RHEL, all the proven stable parts of Fedora get
incorporated in RH, all the duff bits are left for Fedora to turn the
handle again.  So if you want a distro, that is right out at the front
of development with potential pitfalls and duff bits then use Fedora. If
you want low maintenance servers running 24x7x365 with little
interference from Admins, just running doing a high availability job
then use a production OS such as RHEL or Centos.

If you use Fedora for production, then I'm glad I'm not relying on your
production servers.

To say that it is suitable for production comes down to experience, it
really isn't suitable for production and certainly not Core 8,  I could
only imagine that it might be useful on small scale servers doing
traditional tasks where there is a high ratio of admins to users and
perhaps machines physically close at hand so you can reboot them when
required .
Regard

Pete