OT Fedora in production (as nstallation Problem on Fedora Core 8)

Anthony Cartmell ajcartmell at fonant.com
Wed Dec 12 16:22:29 GMT 2007

> You miss read the grammar in my reply.
>
> We all know that Centos is not  supported by Red Hat, however it is
> binary compatible, if you're not sure what binary compatible just go for
> google.

You missed my winking smiley ;)

> Heres an article worth reading that looks at both sides of the argument:

Although that's a little old now, I agree with its sentiments. It even
lists Wikipedia and Sourceforge as using Fedora for production servers :)

> You also might want to read real world comment here:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-255265.html

I agree with those opinions that compare Ubuntu with Fedora rather than
with RHEL. The points about stability being unrelated to the age of
software are exactly what I'm talking about.

> I think that by insisting its not a testing ground OS you are not in
> agreement with everyone I deal with...

Depends whether "testing ground OS" is a good thing or not. I'd have
thought that the fact that RHEL is based on Fedora, and not, say, Ubuntu,
was an indication that Fedora is indeed one of the most stable free Linux
distros available.

> If you use Fedora for production, then I'm glad I'm not relying on your
> production servers.

My only few downtimes over the last three years have been hardware and
network related. I have never had any issues with Fedora, which has proved
to be quite stable enough for production use.

> To say that it is suitable for production comes down to experience

I quite agree, I'm simply relating what I've personally experienced. If
someone has run production web/e-mail servers with Fedora and has had
problems with the OS I'd love to hear, in case I've been unusually lucky.

Cheers!

Anthony
--
www.fonant.com - Quality web sites