OT Fedora in production (as nstallation Problem on Fedora Core 8)

Anthony Cartmell ajcartmell at fonant.com
Tue Dec 11 11:44:30 GMT 2007

> Centos is basically Red Hat Enterprise, the stable, standardised fully
> tested production qaulity commercial grade and supported OS from Red Hat.

I don't think RedHat support CentOS... ;)

> Fedora is the bleeding edge, experimental, non production version.

Where does it say "experimental" or "bleeding edge"? My copy of Fedora has
only stable versions of software installed (Apache, PHP, MySQL, sendmail,
etc).

> So just to recap Fedora is Experimental and not intended for production
> use, as defined by the people that made it, and that gentleman is as you
> you might say "straight from the horses mouth".  The people that created
> it say its less stable and experimental *by design*, that is its purpose
> in life.

Do you have a reference for that?

I can only find articles where Fedora people recommend Fedora for
production use, e.g. from Fedora Project Leader, Max Spevack
(http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/17/177220) in August
last year:

"Anyone (Red Hat or non-Red Hat) who tells you that Fedora isn't suitable
for a production server is wrong. If someone tells you that Fedora is
"just a beta for RHEL", they too are wrong.

Either the person is insufficiently informed about what Fedora is (and
it's our job within Fedora to do that), or the person is purposefully
misrepresenting Fedora and neglecting to tell the whole story, in which
case it's our job within Fedora to call them out.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives"

> To use it in a production environment doing critical jobs is rather less
> than wise.

Not sure I agree with that. I've had no problems with it, even having
upgraded releases with yum. It does have a shorter release cycle, but not
as short as MailScanner does ;)

Anyway, I've been very happy using Fedora on my servers for years, and
will continue to do so. Others may decide to avoid it for things like
CentOS, but I prefer to keep more up-to-date with the more recent stable
releases of things!

Cheers!

Anthony
--