Installation Problem on Fedora Core 8

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Tue Dec 11 10:02:00 GMT 2007

Anthony Cartmell wrote:
>> Whatever the case, Ugo's advice was the best. Fedora has a purpose, but
>> not as a mail server of any importance IMHO.
>
> In my experience, as a smallish volume provider, Fedora works fine as
> a mail server, although as with any OS it's worth waiting for major
> versions to settle down.
>
> ISTR that there were a lot of posts here recently about problems with
> MailScanner on CentOS, a "more stable" OS than Fedora, and about the
> wonderful long-term stability of Solaris, meaning that people can run
> very old versions of software. Each OS has its own problems.
>
> Anthony
> --www.fonant.com - Quality web sites
> --MailScanner mailing list
> mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info

Centos is basically Red Hat Enterprise, the stable, standardised fully
tested production qaulity commercial grade and supported OS from Red Hat.

Fedora is the bleeding edge, experimental, non production version.
Fedora is the testing ground to make the Red Hat Enterprise that follows
it stable and reliable.

So just to recap Fedora is Experimental and not intended for production
use, as defined by the people that made it, and that gentleman is as you
you might say "straight from the horses mouth".  The people that created
it say its less stable and experimental *by design*, that is its purpose
in life.

To use it in a production environment doing critical jobs is rather less
than wise.

The recent issues with the Perl-MailTools as posted affected all
versions of Linux that used the affected repos.  And in my case it was a
30second fix.   I would be willing to bet money that Fedora Core 8
problems do not fall in the 30sec fix category and are more difficult to
fix.

If you want to fix your problems with MailScanner on Fedora Core 8,
install it on something else other than Fedora Core 8, like centos 4.5
for example.

Regards

Pete

Regards

Pete

dangerous content by the Enhancion system Scanner
and is believed to be clean.
http://www.enhancion.net