MailScanner --lint doesn't check Eicar virus - OK here!

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 01:38:17 GMT 2007

Hi Scott,

--- Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> on 12/6/2007 6:05 PM Michael Mansour spake the
> following:
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > --- "Randal, Phil" <prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I've finally tracked this down:
> >>
> >> yumming from the rpmforge repo had updated
> >> perl-MIME-Tools to version
> >> 5.424.
> >>
> >> Downgrading to 5.420 made things work:
> >
> > I'm so glad you worked this one out. I also did
> the
> > downgrade and discovered that the "block of wmv
> files"
> > subject I'd sent through the list also was
> resolved
> > ie. blocking attachments was now working again.
> >
> > What you, and anyone else using the
> perl-MIME-tools
> > update would have found is, that you weren't
> actually
> > blocking any attachments anymore, as for me this
> is
> > what had happened.
> >
> > You see, the reason the Eicar virus test was
> failing
> > was because the MIME checking was broken with the
> > perl-MIME-tools update.
> >
> > I asked this question previously in the "block of
> wmv
> > files" subject in the mailing list,
> asking/commenting
> > that I couldn't be the only one experiencing this
> > problem but others either didn't test it or were
> > oblivious to the fact that attachment checking was
> no
> > longer working for them.
> >
> > With this trouble-shooting and resolution (and
> letting
> > us know about it here), you've hit at least 2
> birds
> > with the one stone.
> >
> > Good work mate and thanks again.
> >
> > Michael.
> Strange.. I have rpmforge enabled on a CentOS 5 box
> and perl-MIME-tools is
> still at 5.420 here, and I know I have updated
> because I was hit with the
> mailtools upgrade bug. Did this also affect CentOS 4
> or do I need to be ready
> for another hit?

I can't speak for CentOS5 / SL5 / RHEL5 since I don't
run MailScanner on anything other than SL4
(CentOS4/RHEL4).

For the people running RHEL4-based derivatives, the
above would hold true.

Regards,

Michael.

      Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail