MailScanner --lint doesn't check Eicar virus - OK here!

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Dec 7 19:09:09 GMT 2007

on 12/6/2007 6:05 PM Michael Mansour spake the following:
> Hi Phil,
>
> --- "Randal, Phil" <prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> I've finally tracked this down:
>>
>> yumming from the rpmforge repo had updated
>> perl-MIME-Tools to version
>> 5.424.
>>
>> Downgrading to 5.420 made things work:
>
> I'm so glad you worked this one out. I also did the
> downgrade and discovered that the "block of wmv files"
> subject I'd sent through the list also was resolved
> ie. blocking attachments was now working again.
>
> What you, and anyone else using the perl-MIME-tools
> update would have found is, that you weren't actually
> blocking any attachments anymore, as for me this is
> what had happened.
>
> You see, the reason the Eicar virus test was failing
> was because the MIME checking was broken with the
> perl-MIME-tools update.
>
> I asked this question previously in the "block of wmv
> files" subject in the mailing list, asking/commenting
> that I couldn't be the only one experiencing this
> problem but others either didn't test it or were
> oblivious to the fact that attachment checking was no
> longer working for them.
>
> With this trouble-shooting and resolution (and letting
> us know about it here), you've hit at least 2 birds
> with the one stone.
>
> Good work mate and thanks again.
>
> Michael.
Strange.. I have rpmforge enabled on a CentOS 5 box and perl-MIME-tools is
still at 5.420 here, and I know I have updated because I was hit with the
mailtools upgrade bug. Did this also affect CentOS 4 or do I need to be ready
for another hit?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and