MailScanner --lint doesn't check Eicar virus - OK here!

shuttlebox shuttlebox at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:37:48 GMT 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 11:56 AM, Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
> This is probably a dumb question; however, why can't or don't Solaris users
> update to the latest version of Perl? As a FreeBSD user, that is a simple
> matter. The ports system on FBSD is virtually always up to date.
>
> Sorry; however, I just do not understand how Solaris works.

As we've seen now and many times before running the latest doesn't
always equal the greatest.

Solaris is all about stability and they guarantee compatibility
between releases, one way of fulfilling that is not doing feature
upgrades during main releases. Only the latest version of Solaris (10)
includes Perl 5.8 but since many Solaris servers just works it's a
very real problem for Sun that their customers are still running
version 8 and 9 in large numbers, some ever older releases than that
and then we're looking at software releases over 10 years old.

We like that the platform itself is stable but there are alternatives.
I package MailScanner for the Blastwave project and it also has fresh
versions of Perl and pretty much every popular open source software
(around 1700 titles). Look at it as an alternative "repository" of
free software.

--
/peter