MailScanner --lint doesn't check Eicar virus - OK here!

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 14:36:39 GMT 2007

Hi Gerard/Jules,

--- Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Friday December 07, 2007 at 05:46:30 (AM) David
> Lee wrote:
>
> > > I don't really want to upgrade the copy of
> MIME-tools I use to the
> > > latest, as it now requires Perl 5.8. This will
> royally screw many of the
> > > Solaris users out there who only have Perl 5.6
> available.
>
> Perl-5.6 is ancient. Many of my perl based programs
> can not run under it.

I may not fully agree with Gerard here, but he does
have a point.

There will be a time when Sun will cease support of
the older perl 5.6 and force people to bite the bullet
and upgrade their Solaris.

I wonder if people have checked the Solaris roadmap
lately?

> This is probably a dumb question; however, why can't
> or don't Solaris users
> update to the latest version of Perl? As a FreeBSD
> user, that is a simple
> matter. The ports system on FBSD is virtually always
> up to date.
>
> Sorry; however, I just do not understand how Solaris
> works.

Vendor support is critical, if they are running perl
5.6.x it's because the Solaris version they are
running only provides that perl version. They would
have to upgrade the entire OS to get the later version
of perl.

Most companies consider that a major upgrade which
requires a lot of time to possibly purchase new
hardware, test, QA and move into production.

There's only so long an OS can last before you have to
upgrade, but 8 years from first release is a "normal"
vendor support timeframe.

Although I guess Jules does have the option to modify
his script to detect the perl and OS version which is
running, and install an old Mail-tools pm for an older
perl and a more updated Mail-tools pm for the newer
perl.

Regards,

Michael.