Spamhaus replacement

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Dec 4 20:11:51 GMT 2007

on 12/4/2007 6:36 AM Randal, Phil spake the following:
> ram wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 09:25 +0700, Budi Febrianto wrote:
>>> Right now we only use zen.spamhaus.org and happy so far,
>> but because
>>> spamhaus is not free anymore, now I want some
>> recommendation for others
>>> dnsbl.
>> But spamhaus offers free data sync AFAIK if you are using it for your
>> own domain and not selling antispam solution
>>

>> You just need to sign up with them
>
> http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html
>
> "Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs via DNS queries to our public DNSBL servers
> is free of charge if you meet all three of the following criteria:
>
>    1. Your use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs is non-commercial*, and
>    2. Your email traffic is less than 80,000 SMTP connections per day,
> and
>    3. Your DNSBL query volume is less than 320,000 queries per day.
>
> If you do not fit all three of these criteria then please do not use our
> public DNSBL servers, instead see 'Professional Use' (below) which
> delivers our DNSBL data to your servers. If you are in any doubt as to
> whether you fit within our free use criteria, or think you may be likely
> to soon exceed our free use criteria, please switch to 'Professional
> Use'."
>
> "Professional Use
>
> Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs by ISPs, organizations and networks with
> email traffic higher than 100,000 SMTP connections per day or making
> over 400,000 DNSBL queries per day, or by commercial spam filter
> services, requires a subscription to the Spamhaus DNSBL Data Feed
> Service, a service designed for users with professional DNSBL query
> requirements."
Don't believe this one, as my server gets less than 10,000 messages a day --
usually a lot less --  and I am currently blacklisted.
I even thought about setting caching nameservers on some unused ip addresses
and turning it back on, but stopped myself. For now! ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and