Spamhaus replacement

Randal, Phil prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk
Tue Dec 4 14:36:08 GMT 2007

ram wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 09:25 +0700, Budi Febrianto wrote:
> > Right now we only use zen.spamhaus.org and happy so far,
> but because
> > spamhaus is not free anymore, now I want some
> recommendation for others
> > dnsbl.
>
> But spamhaus offers free data sync AFAIK if you are using it for your
> own domain and not selling antispam solution
>

> You just need to sign up with them

http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html

"Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs via DNS queries to our public DNSBL servers
is free of charge if you meet all three of the following criteria:

   1. Your use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs is non-commercial*, and
   2. Your email traffic is less than 80,000 SMTP connections per day,
and
   3. Your DNSBL query volume is less than 320,000 queries per day.

If you do not fit all three of these criteria then please do not use our
public DNSBL servers, instead see 'Professional Use' (below) which
delivers our DNSBL data to your servers. If you are in any doubt as to
whether you fit within our free use criteria, or think you may be likely
to soon exceed our free use criteria, please switch to 'Professional
Use'."

"Professional Use

Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs by ISPs, organizations and networks with
email traffic higher than 100,000 SMTP connections per day or making
over 400,000 DNSBL queries per day, or by commercial spam filter
services, requires a subscription to the Spamhaus DNSBL Data Feed
Service, a service designed for users with professional DNSBL query
requirements."

"*Definition: "non-commercial use" is use for any purpose other than as
part or all of a product or service that is resold, or for use of which
a fee is charged. For example, using our DNSBLs in a commercial spam
filtering appliance that is then sold to others requires a data feed,
regardless of use volume. The same is true of commercial spam filtering
software and commercial spam filtering services.

A company that uses our DNSBLs solely to filter their own email
qualifies as a non-commercial user and may use our free public DNSBLs if
that company's email volume and DNSBL query volume is below the free use
limits. The same is true for any non-profit organization, school,
religious organization, or private individual who operates their own
mail server."

Cheers,

Phil
--