MailScanner via Yum (CentOS)

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Wed Aug 29 00:46:00 IST 2007

It looks like the sites that know enough to intelligently use the various
methods to install rpms can pretty much dissect Julian's install.sh script
to use yum (or up2date RH 5.0) to keep their systems updated the way they
want to. But it's not simple!

After following this thread, I can tell you that based on our experience to
update our own applications using yum - and for Julian to try to handle all
the Operating Systems he supports - and to continue with incredibly fast
implementation of feature requests - and get a little rest now and then -
and have some dinners out with his mates - etc - etc -this is not trivial!

And this should not be his job!

He already makes it so simple for newbes and experienced admins to simply
keep their MailScanner apps up to date he shouldn't be asked to do more.

What I would suggest is that if you really want to do this is to help
Julian. Setup a yum repository that handles all of the dependencies that
that MailScanner requires (hint enablerepo=)  and if you're really
ambitious, add SpamAssassin, Razor, DCC  - you get the idea. We're starting
doing this for our MailScanner maintenance clients since it will save us
time and them costs and we may make this accessible the MailScanner list as
we have the time and resources but it won't be soon. We're really too busy
with BarricadeMX installs.

Who wants' to volunteer  :>).

We'll be happy to share what we've done so far with you but you'll need a
bit of bandwith!

Steve

Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com