Random messages stuck in mqueue

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Aug 1 18:00:55 IST 2007

Corey McFadden spake the following on 7/31/2007 9:46 PM:

> Guys,
>
> We're experiencing an issue on one of our boxes where messages (a good
> percentage) are hung in /var/spool/mqueue after being processed by
> MailScanner.  Even those to be delivered locally will sit for
> (sometimes) hours until they're finally delivered.
>
> I've never seen this behavior before and something is definitely awry.
>
> Here's the environment:
>
> This is CentOS release 4.5 (Final)
> This is Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)
>
> This is MailScanner version 4.61.7
>
> Executing 'sendmail -q -v' WILL process the stuck messages but can take
> quite a long time to run because it will try to deliver everything
> queued in a linear fashion.

Since it is in mqueue and not mqueue.in, mailscanner is pretty much out of the
loop. Check if you have a FQDN that resolves properly as this will choke
sendmail quickly. Also try a local caching nameserver, as sendmail might be
taking a long time to resolve delivery addresses.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and