Random messages stuck in mqueue

Corey McFadden cmcfadden01 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 18:28:08 IST 2007

It does seem as though the problem begins when MailScanner disposes of a
message.  Maybe someone could clarify the process whereby Sendmail picks up
the message and decides to deliver it (locally or relay or whatever.)

It doesn't look like a DNS issue.  We've got a local resolver (that has a
PTR record for the machine's IP) and a backup resolver.  I've done a number
of DNS tests and haven't been able to produce an error there.

On other systems everything happens so quickly that it's hard to see what
happens but does it resemble this:
 - MailScanner finds message in mqueue.in
 - MailScanner processes message and dumps qf/df into mqueue
 - Sendmail daemon periodically scans mqueue

or:
 - MailScanner finds message in mqueue.in
 - MailScanner processes message and spawns a sendmail process for delivery

What are the implications of the "Delivery Method" queue vs. batch option on
the above?

Thanks for the input!

-Corey