Upgrade to clamav 0.90.2 makes scanning extremely slow

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 10:49:22 IST 2007

Paul Hutchings wrote:
> Newbie talking so feel free to shoot me down in flames :-)
>
> My understanding (from clamscan --debug) is that each time you run clamscan it appears it has to read the virus patterns, unpack them (to /tmp), scan the files, remove the files.

Correct.
> This is the "probably talking out my bum" bit, but that sounds less efficient than clamd where (I assume) the daemon loads the definitions once and each child process doesn't have to do this?

The "clamavmodule" method is more efficient as it just communicates
directly with the clam function library and doesn't involve any external
processes at all. The definitions are loaded up once and kept in memory
by the function library. This is also more reliable as there is no
external daemon (clamd) which might crash, or leak memory or other
resources.

The signature files are monitored and if any of them change at all then
the library is immediately told to re-load the new definitions so it is
always using up to date signatures.

If you use my latest ClamAV+SA package from www.mailscanner.info, that
will install everything needed to use the "clamavmodule" method and will
even do the configuration for you.

I hope that explains it to you :-)

Jules.

> Cheers,