Bouncing to spoofed domain name

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Thu Apr 12 15:58:12 IST 2007

On Thursday April 12, 2007 at 10:01:29 (AM) John Rowan wrote:

> Gareth, thanks for the quick reply.  I do not use Postfix and don't know
> anything about it.
> I read the ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html.  Does Postfix replace Sendmail
> as the MTA or does it work in conjunction with it?  I have two months
> worth of projects
> in my queue and don't have time right now to reconfigure and test email
> server configurations
> if Postfix needs to replace Sendmail as the MTA.  From what I see
> Googling Postfix it is a replacement
> for Sendmail.   I'll have to revisit this when I close out some of the
> projects I'm working on.

Please don't top post. If you don't know what that means, Google for it.

Yes, Postfix is a replacement for Sendmail.

You might want to rethink this bounce procedure that you are employing.
You are effectively creating 'backscatter' which will eventually get you
blacklisted. You are better off silently dropping those message.

It has been ages since I employed Sendmail. I thought though that there
was a way to create a list of valid users and discard the rest.

--
Gerard