Problems with Calamvmodule
ram at netcore.co.in
Thu Apr 12 10:31:58 IST 2007
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 09:39 +0200, tpickhan at sks-systeme.de wrote:
> Hello Mailinglist!
> My English is not so well, but I hope you will understand me and
> hopefully have an answer to my question ;-)
> We have a mailscanner server on debian with mailscanner version
> 4.54.6, bitdefender and clamav in version 0.90.1.
> Normally the server works with the clamav perl modul, but as I came
> today in the office, I’ve registered that the server doesn’t work
> still 2 AM. I’ve controlled the mailscanner logfiles and found the
> entry “none of the files matchd by the "monitors for clamav updates"
> patterns exist!”.
> So I change the mailscanner config to work temporarily only with the
> bitdefender engine and restart the mailscanner process. I’ve
> controlled the logfiles and saw, that the queued mails were properly
> scanned and deliver to our exchange server.
> After that, I’ve changed the mailscanner config one more time to use
> the normal clamav modul. And with this engine, mailscanner works too.
> But with the perl module from clamav it doesn’t. It appears every
> minute the above entry.
Same problem here.
I changed my MailScanner.conf line to
Monitors for ClamAV Updates = /var/lib/clamav/daily.inc/*
Just check the directory in freshclam.conf and update your mailscanner
I still dont know if this is the right thing to do
More information about the MailScanner