about postfix and Mailscanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:23:34 IST 2006

On 29/09/06, Cheng Bruce <itlist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Fajar,
>
> Thank you for your tip.
> But I didn't work it out, I think my setting is maybe wrong, would you
> please advise me ?
> PS: After modifying, I did restart service via "service MailScanner restart"
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> I tried to remove the private information of messages from inside to
> outside and tried to remove the MUA header if the MUA is webmail
> (IMP).
>
> But both of them are failed.
>
> /etc/MailScanner/rules/remove.headers.rules
>
> FromOrTo:       192.168.1.    User-Agent: Internet Messaging Program
> (IMP) H3 (4.1.3):
> FromOrTo:       192.168.1.    Received: from 192.168.1.:
> FromOrTo:       default         X-Mozilla-Status:       X-Mozilla-Status2:

(snip)
No. Take a breath, then go read the documentation for that setting you
are using (or lift your eyes just an inch, and there it is:-).
This is simply not how it works. You only specify the _header names_
you want to remove. And it'll remove _all_ those headers.

And again: Why on earth would you want to do this?! It is at best naive.
It buys you no security. So what that you use private network
addresses? If your internet gateways are setup correctly they will not
even route that type of address.

Thing is, communication is atwo-way thing, you'll reveal all sorts of
things bout your organization anyway... And "dousing" these
_mandatory_ _non-editable_ headers is just not a particularily good
measure.

If you want to hide the fact that it is IMP you are using for webmail,
then do that in IMP, where it is appropriate, or be very specific in
your rule, so that you only remove private address headers for that
particular server (assuming you're not buying my reasoning above, and
still want to break RFC compliance:-).
Something like:
From:       192.168.1.86    Received: User-Agent:
FromOrTo:       default         X-Mozilla-Status:       X-Mozilla-Status2:
... and remember to reload/restart MailScanner to make the rules take
effect immediately.
--
-- Glenn