about postfix and Mailscanner

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Fri Sep 29 10:40:22 IST 2006

On Fri, September 29, 2006 10:01, Glenn Steen wrote:
> Thanks for chipping in Drew. As a matter of fact,if one follows the
> thrread Fajar provided "to the bitter end" (hm, why do I suddenly
> crave a pint...:-), there is a rather long blurb by a MailScanner user
> (Juraj) detailing exactly this, so ... He's not entirely wrong:-).

Mmm, a pint, now there's a thought. At 10.30am it's a wee bit early over
here but it's OK some where in the world :-)

> My main gripe here is that it is a bit pointless to do, at all... But
> it is possible, of course:-).

Quite so. At the end of the day if your software has a vulnerability no
one is going to search your headers looking at the software you are using.
At best a quick nmap of your network will provide the answers and if IMP
can't be reached from the external world then it's less likely to be the
subject of something nasty. If it's a mail client attack that's your
issue, well you hope/ believe that MailScanner will cover that one anyway.
Security by obscurity doesn't work and normally just breaks something else
further down the line.

Drew