Messages Outlook/Exchange can't delete

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 16:44:52 IST 2006

On 19/09/06, Kris Shaw <mailscanner at wealdclose.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We run Exchange 2003 SP2 with MailScanner in front of it.
>
> We have recently been sent some spam messages that we initially were unable
> to delete via Outlook (2000 or 2003), OWA and IMAP.
>
> After an investigation it transpired that in fact the messages could in fact
> be deleted (shift-delete in Outlook) although they couldn't be moved (into
> other folders, such as 'Deleted Items'). Attempting to move the messages via
> IMAP resulted in "An error occurred calling into the Microsoft Exchange
> Information Store service: the call to EcMoveCopyMessages failed with error
> 0x8004011b." from the Information Store.
>
> The subject lines are similar to:
> "Tuesday.CRSVF.puts him in a "
>
> Our spam.actions.rules file default action is:
> FromOrTo:       default         deliver attachment header "X-Spam-Status:
> Yes"
>
> The sender address looked malformed in the MailScanner produced email that
> wraps the spam message:
> From: "\"George Roman\"
> <tkuhn at rvapc.com>{SET":tkuhn at rvapc.com
>
> The attached spam email has the following address, which although invalid
> looks different to the MailScanner produced version:
> From: "George Roman" <tkuhn at rvapc.com>{SET:debug=11}
>
> Has anyone seen this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Kris.

What MTA is MailScanner running with? I for one has never seen this,
mainly (I suspect) because I reject a lot of bogous cr*p right up
front in postfix (RFC strictness... Simply reject
malformed/non-correct envelope addresses, HELO strings etc). I'm sure
you can do pretty much the same with any MTA (well... perhaps not
exchange:-).
Makes life easier;)
--
-- Glenn