OT: Invalid domain name during SMTP test

Drew Marshall drew at themarshalls.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 20:53:27 IST 2006

On 12 Sep 2006, at 20:28, Drew Marshall wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2006, at 20:10, Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
>
>> So you are suggesting just WoodenMS2.woodmaclaw?  I need to also
>> change
>> it to WoodenMS2.Woodmclaw
>>
>> Right now I did hostname WoodenMS2.Woodmclaw and now the hostname
>> command reads it as that.
>
> No, your server should announce it's self as it's FQDN as described
> in your MX records so:
>
> Your MX record is MAIL.woodmclaw.com so your SMTP greeting should
> be mail.woodmclaw.com and indeed you should also ask the person who
> manages your IP address (Usually your ISP) to set a PTR against
> your IP address 68.74.55.130 to provide 'reverse resolution' to
> mail.woodmclaw.com.
>
> I would also suggest you might want to consider a secondary MX,
> just in case...

I probably ought to add that what you get Sendmail to announce it's
self as and what you call your machine (Host name) doesn't have to be
the same thing (Or at least it certainly doesn't with Postfix and I
have no doubt there is a similar option in Sendmail).

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy