OT: Invalid domain name during SMTP test

Drew Marshall drew at themarshalls.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 20:28:48 IST 2006

On 12 Sep 2006, at 20:10, Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:

> So you are suggesting just WoodenMS2.woodmaclaw?  I need to also
> change
> it to WoodenMS2.Woodmclaw
>
> Right now I did hostname WoodenMS2.Woodmclaw and now the hostname
> command reads it as that.

No, your server should announce it's self as it's FQDN as described
in your MX records so:

Your MX record is MAIL.woodmclaw.com so your SMTP greeting should be
mail.woodmclaw.com and indeed you should also ask the person who
manages your IP address (Usually your ISP) to set a PTR against your
IP address 68.74.55.130 to provide 'reverse resolution' to
mail.woodmclaw.com.

I would also suggest you might want to consider a secondary MX, just
in case...

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy